Saturday, January 23, 2010

Life of the Long Tail

I choose to name my blog after a concept that struck me while reading the Long Tail article. The idea is hard to grasp…unlimited. I have an infinite amount of choices when it comes to television, music, news, shopping, etc. and the more staggering idea is that if, for some reason, it doesn’t exist, I have the power and means to create it! How is that possible? How can a 22 year-old college senior have that type of access? It’s all about the avenue of distribution that is now available. The Internet.

Christ Anderson, author and researcher of “The Long Tail” struck gold when he realized that the physical world puts dramatic limitations on our entertainment in its need to find local audiences and its physical space capabilities. There can only be so many movies shown in a local theater, so many albums sold as a local store and so many TV shows on a local network. Until recently, American only knew what they could see, buy, or watch from their local options. With the introduction of Internet and sites like Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes they do not have to function under any physical constrains so their options are…unlimited.

Away from the world of best sellers, hit songs, and box office booms are unlimited amounts of other options. Anderson explains, “What’s really amazing about the Long Tail is the sheer size of it. Combine enough non-hits on the Long Tail and you’ve got a market bigger than the hits.” The 80-20 rule (where 20 percent of products account for 80 percent of sales) is seen in the media outlets we are accustomed to but an amazing 98 percent rule (98 percent of the available content had at least one item that sold) in online markets. The charts below show the Long Tail curve and how it is utilized by both the physical markets and online markets.




Anderson writes, “The era of one-size-fits-all is ending, and in its place is something new, a market of multitudes.” I love that quote. I can relate to the frustrations of the one-size-fits-all mentality. I am a smaller person, so when it says “one size fits all” I say, “not very well.” The size and the structure does not fit to my needs, I would much rather buy and use something that fits my specific needs. The idea of a one-size-fits-all mentally that has formed our thoughts and actions for so long is now changing and the availability of a product that meets your exact need has arrived!

I liked Leah's cartoon and I searched for some myself. The one I found relates to one of my personal interests, church and the reality of it is comical.



Until next time,
Khan (It has been my nick name for almost 10 years now. I even won "Best Nickname" in High School).


I used information from The Long Tail article and book. Click to learn more.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail.html
Chris Anderson. "The Long Tail." 2006.
Picture from - http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cartoonchurch.com/blog/images/internet-songs-cartoon.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.cartoonchurch.com/blog/2006/07/12/songs-on-the-internet/&usg=__a102IdlitpjulPKalXz2zdMV4hs=&h=431&w=398&sz=17&hl=en&start=6&itbs=1&tbnid=0mX6d9cfFEPqTM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcartoon%2Binternet%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Would like to see more original ideas about what this all means. The Long Tail is really more than just unlimited content. Think about how these new distribution channels changes the way journalists, musicians and retailers can reach an audience.

    ReplyDelete